Dried liver dog treats

Dried liver dog treats

The definitive training treat

This dog treat can’t be beat. This is what I use for treats when I’m walking all my dogs and there is a huge difference to how they respond to this treat compared to your shop bought stuff and if you do this you will see why they’re the best dog training treats you can get!

It’s very cheap to buy liver from your local supermarket or butcher (much cheaper than branded treats and a whole lot better for your dog).  I’ve never known treats to go down so well with dogs.  I cannot emphasize enough how much your dog will love these. They are ideal for training and to get the attention of your dog when you are outside.

Ingredients

• A packet of liver (any liver will do)

Method

raw liver

Get some liver, wash off the blood. Place tin foil onto a baking tray and lay down liver.

dried liver

This is how it looks after it’s been cooked for 1 hr – 1 hr 30 mins at 100°C/210°F

dried liver treats

Cut into little squares and freeze for when you need them! That’s it!

Share with your friends

33 Comments

1. Wow, so simple. Tucker is very interested in the oven right now. Fingers crossed this is the ‘eye popping’ treat we need for his training as he isn’t a food orientated dog.

• Thanks Sam. How did it go down with Tucker?

2. A simple and easy way to make treats. My teenage son says thanks. :D
    ( BTW my dog likes them too !)

• Thanks so much for this recipe Jamie – I’ve been raw feeding for a few months now and wondering what to do about treats….my daughter is just starting agility classes with our rescue lab so the need for healthy treats has skyrocketed! I’m putting the liver in the oven now…:)

• Thanks Claire and let me know how your dog likes them. I think they are simplest and most effective treat out there!

3. Thanks for this I hate feeding my puppy treats with grain in so have been looking for home made treats as we are doing clicker training and I don’t want her getting fat. This sounds brilliant thanks.

4. Thanks for the recipe- I was looking for this!

What does it smell like? I notice people mentioning the smell…

• Hi Justin. The smell’s not too bad, its a just liver smell. Some people just don’t like the idea of liver, so the smell of it is unappealing. But I like it and will nibble while I cut it into pieces.

5. sorry that wasnt related to liver…

• If dogs are in boot they wont need harnesses but will probably need something if in back seat. Thing is, some dogs will try to sit on your lap if they can. I have a dog gaurd behind front headrests but my own dog will be my backup as she wont let any dog in the front. She sits next to me on passenger seat! She defo makes like easier!

You wont get a whole bunch of dogs in one go, they come one by one. If they puppy they can go straight in, if they not maybe keep them separate in car for first trip to see how they get on.

I do leave dogs in car waiting, but never for long, never more than 5 mins. A quick rub down and I’m away.

Jamie

6. hi i am a new dog walking provider but
    having some problems with my own two dogs being aggressive to other dogs in our car…all cool once out on our walk but stress of journey freaking me out!

• Hi Julie! I’d love to help and when I see my next dog behaviourist I will ask her about it. I have one dog that is not good with other dogs in the car. He is separated and the other dogs just ignore him, in fact he only growls if they look at him. He’s find outside.

In meantime, keep your dogs separated from the other dogs and try distracting them with something like a pate filled kong. In fact you could try giving them a kong when you put a dog in the car and see if they learn to associate a dog in the vehicle as a good thing. Anyway, I’ll get back to you once I’ve spoke to my behaviourist – not sure when though, busy time of year at the moment.

• Hi Jamie,

I was wondering about transporting the dogs int he car. I am getting an estate but wondered if it was safe to have 3 dogs loose in the back. Obviously I will use a dog guard but do they all need harnesses? and also do dogs that have not met get on in the same vehicle generally? Do you have a procedure in them meeting up a few times before you try the car? Also when you drop the dogs back home and have to clean them do you leave the other dogs in the car waiting?

7. Hi, what a great idea! What kind of liver do you use? I.e. lamb, pork, or beef? Does it make a difference?

Thanks.

• Thanks Jo! I just use any liver, but Ox and Pig is cheapest!

8. Hi Jamie

Love the blog!!! http://bdws.co.uk/2011/06/01/how-to-become-a-dog-walker/

I came across it whilst looking for ‘how much to charge as a dog walker?’. I’ve been asked to do some and although I love and have walked dogs, I’ve never ‘officially’ done it.

Your website has been so helpful, loads of top tips and useful info. Thank you so much for being a ‘sharer and carer’!!

Armed with info, I’m ready to answer and ask all the questions now!

Come on then…Walkies!!

• Thanks Esther!

I’m more than happy to help anyone in anyway I can. I found it tough to begin with like many people so the last thing anyone wants to do when they’re starting is make things more difficult for themselves.

These liver treats are great!

9. Hi Jamie,

Found your site the other day so thought I’d try out the liver treats. My French bulldog must have known they were for her as she sat waiting at the oven while they cooked. She absolutely loves them and you know the treats aren’t full of rubbish. Great recipes will be trying out some of the others.

• Hi Sally! I think they’re probably the best treats you can get or make! So simple, easy and cheap!

10. Hi Jamie

I made the liver yesterday and my 2 dogs went daft for them. I gave some round to my friend as her dog isn’t a great eater but love the liver. :-)

• Hi Caroline! Yeah, it’s so much better and I’m glad you had the stomach to do it! I can buy two packs for just over a quid and that’ll give me more than enough treats for a whole weeks dog walking!

11. Hi Jamie
    I stumbled across your website while looking around for dog food that I could make myself. Thank you for your amazing website. This is in the oven right now. I don’t like the smell but my dog does, she is sitting outside the kitchen door waiting for it to be ready!
    Dee

• Thanks Dee! Ah, you’ll get to like the smell or least tolerate it. Would love to hear how you dog likes it!

12. I’ve heard of people making these before and always wanted to try it. But i was wondering how long as these good for once they are out of the freezer? Do you keep them in the fridge or just an airtight container?

• In an airtight container in the fridge I’d say about a week, but I can’t really say cause I use them up so fast! When I make them I separate the batch into smaller amounts and then freeze for when I need them.

13. Hi Jamie, Would you say that your dogs preferred this recipe over the Liver cake recipe? Thanks! :)

• Hi Karen. They are different treats for different occasions. The liver treats are ideal for training or for taking with you when out with the dog. The liver cake is more of a house treat or big reward after training. But as far as the dog is concerned they love them both just the same!

14. Thanks for your amazing website. This is in the oven right now. I don’t like the smell but I bet the dogs who are coming to visit next week will be delighted.

• Thanks Jackie for your comments! The smell is something you have to get used too, not as bad as kidney though! I’m certain your doggy guests will love it!

15. What a fantastic idea! How long do you keep in freezer and do u defrost or give frozen?

• Hi Pippa! If put in freezer once cooled then they will last pretty much forever! They only need an hour or so to defrost!

Submit a Comment