Banana bombs

Banana bombs

Simple to make, meat free dog treats!

I thought a vegetarian dog treat without using liver or meat would make a nice change so I thought I’d try banana alongside peanut butter and honey to make recipe I call Banana Bombs!  These dog treats are great, they have a hard crusty shell which makes them excellent to carry around but moist and bready inside and packed with flavour!  Dogs love them!

After making them I took some with me while I went out dog walking.  Ruffles the Lhasa apso loved his and I even got plenty of attention from other people’s dogs who could smell them in my bag.  So that’s a big paws up for them already!

Ingredients

• 2 Eggs
  • 2 Bananas
  • 200g (1 cup) of Peanut Butter
  • Squirt of Honey
  • 200g (1 cup) of Wholemeal Flour
  • 200g (1 cup) of Cornflour

Method

ingredients

We’re going to need wholemeal flour, cornflour, honey, 2 eggs, 2 bananas and peanut butter!

add banana peanut butter and eggs

Add two eggs, 200g (1 cup) of peanut butter, 2 chopped bananas and a good squirt of honey to a bowl!

blended dog treat recipe

Blend it till it’s smooth!

add 200g of wholemeal flour

Now add 200g (1 cup) of wholemeal flour!

add 200g of  cornflour

Then add 200g (1 cup) of cornflour!

roll into a ball

Mix the flours in with a fork then roll up your sleeves because you’ll need to get stuck in with your hands to mix it all up!

raw banana peanut butter and honey balls

Roll into little balls and place onto baking tray. Be quite firm when rolling them in your hands!

banana peanut butter and honey buns

Preheat over to 130°C (270°F) and then cook for 45 minutes. The buns above are now cooked and look brilliant!

Ruffles with his treat!

Give to dog!

Share with your friends

28 Comments

1. We have tried the deep fried peelings – dogs and humans pronounced them very tasty!

Currently have Banana Bombs in the oven – smelling good, but it would be helpful if you could indicate top, middle or bottom of the oven.

Could earlier comment from Fiona re ‘lightish brown’ have any relationship to height in the oven?

Regards

Ray

• Hi Ray, it’s usually the middle of the oven I use.

• ‘Bombs’ all done and doggie approved – lightish in colour but very tasty. Thanks re oven – used the top shelf for this batch, but will use middle next time. Ginger biscuits next on the menu!!

• Brill thanks for letting me know, Ray! Ginger biccies are great and sardine oatcakes are fab too!

2. Wow what a fantastic recipe…I will give them ago with my children Thanks!!

3. Just made these. Think I have done something wrong, they were not even light brown after the 45 mins. Gave an extra 15 minutes (5 min increment just in case) and they are lightish brown but do taste a little dry??

• I used wholemeal and cornflour. I have been making dog biscuits for a couple of years (as I don’t like all the additives and the price of bought ones!!) but they are crunchy cheesy biscuits and I wanted a recipe for a softer type (she, my 3 year old GSD is such a greedy guts that she swallows biscuits whole and chokes!!!). Anyway she loves these ‘bombs’ just wondered if I may have cocked up somehow?maybe my cooker is cooler?

• I really don’t know what went wrong. If you get the chance try a different cooker and get back to me.

4. I’m introducing my dogs to a wheat free diet. These banana bombs sound great – do you think I could substitute the wholemeal flour for potato flour or rice flour?

5. AAhhhmm!! Attention please!

I have to put a word in here. All you dog owners out there, listen up! These here Banana Bombs are scrumilicious! You can’t waste any more time checking out the recipe pages. Stop here! Make these! Your pet pooch will love you forever! … Then work your way through the others as I’m sure they’re just as delish!

I was treated to these last week, in fact there might be one or too left, so I’m staying extra good just to be sure I get to hover them all up!

Spot on Jamie, I award you honorary membership to the Cornwall dog owner appreciation society for services to pooch food! (a very coveted award!!!) Keep up the fab work up there fellow celt!

Brady
    2 yr old GSD

6. Maggie, my parsons terrier LOVES these. Will make as christmas presents for her mum and sister who live nearby. Thanks.

• Thanks Maggie! :)

7. Hi Aimee, I’d probably try grating some apples instead. Just remember to throw away the seeds.

8. I stumbled upon your website the other day – I have to say it’s fantastic ! This is the first of your treats I have tried and my 2 Weimaraner’s Elvis & Dee Dee love them :) x x

• Thanks Sarah! It’s all just a bit of fun but I’m glad there are people out there that like to try them out!

• Hiya, these look fab! My dog can’t eat banana so is there another fruit you would recommend instead please?

9. My Lola loves these! I always make too many, though, even using half the recipe. Do they freeze well?

• Hi Sue! I’m glad you’re Lola loves them! Yes, they freeze very well, just chuck them in the freezer once cooked.

10. just wondering if you could break it down in American measures and degrees…ty

11. How long would recommend storing the ‘banana bombs’ and keeping in a fridge is okay?

• A couple of weeks if stored correctly but if you freeze once cooked then a very long time!

• Thanks Jamie

12. Hi Jamie,

Thanks for recipe, have just gone vegetarian, so good timing. Hope to try out at some point, sure dogs will love them and possibly me too!

• Thanks Jackie! Funny you say that as it was actually quite pleasant to eat when I tried it which feels strange for a dog treat!

Submit a Comment