Tuna loaf

Tuna loaf

Make in just 10 minutes!

This tuna loaf dog treat recipe was given to me by Alison, the owner of Brodie and Harris!  It’s a super simple and tasty dog treat recipe that can be prepared and cooked within 10 minutes!

Ingredients:

Method:

tuna loaf ingredients

Our ingredients

mashed tuna

Add 2 tins of tuna in oil (use the oil).

2 eggs

Add two eggs

160 grams of flour

Add 160 grams of flour

1 crushed garlic clove

Add 1 crushed garlic clove

tuna loaf mixture

Mix everything together to form a thick paste-like consistency. Spread out on large plate and microwave for 4mins, turn over and cook for another minute

cooked tuna loaf

Leave to cool and then cut up!

give tuna treat to dog

Have a taste test with the dog and freeze the rest.

Share with your friends

30 Comments

1. Hi, a note about garlic: It’s really good for dogs and you can give dogs garlic supplements to help with blood flow, thus proper heart and other organ function. It’s great for general well being. It’s only a problem if a dog consumes a large amount like a whole bulb or more. On the whole it’s a very beneficial addition to dog food and treats.

2. So easy to do and less smelly than liver cake! Really good treats for training when cut into small pieces. Magic (a black lab puppy) loves them and will sit quietly watching me make a batch. Recipe freezes well. Thanks.

3. Do you feed straight from freezer?

4. Hi,

I really wanna try this recipe but I’m just wondering, wouldn’t it affect the coat of my dogs? I have 6 Sharpei, they have sensitive skin, and from what I know tuna is acrid.

Thanks.

• Hi Joan!

Acrid? You mean smelly? To be honest I don’t know how it would affect your dogs but if you don’t want to try Tuna then try another fish like Sardines.

5. I just made a batch of these for my fur babies an they luv them – both gobbled them up straight away! On to the liver cake recipe next :-)

6. hi thanks for recipes I made the oat cakes n tuna loaf today as a tester for our boys ( a 10yrs rottie n 9month gshep) at 1st didn’t know what to make of them but soon ate them couldn’t get them in fast enough, and the shep was sat by my side sniffing whole time making them hahah, so easy and quick to make, I set to make a bigger batch to freeze for them now I know they like them thanks again for tips and recipes and sure I can vouch for our boys hahah:)

• Thanks for sharing Steph! I’m looking for a freezer just for dog treats so I can start making huge batches! Glad your dogs enjoy them!

7. How long would these stay fresh? I’m happy to freeze but wondered how long they might last initially/once unfrozen.

8. Sound great, but don’t have a microwave… any idea how long I should cook in an electric oven? Thanks

9. are these ok treat for puppys? any problem using tuna in brine thats all i have at the moment

• Hi Craig. To be honest I’m not too sure if brine is ok or not. Brine is salty water and I’m not sure how dogs are with that extra salt. I’ve contacted my canine dietitian and hopefully she’ll reply soon, but for me, I’d just stick with the oily type.

10. Hi! I just want to give you a heads up that garlic is not safe for dogs. Nothing from the onion family is. Even in dried/powder form. It can cause a type of blood disorder that is fatal. Other than that, excited to try your recipe!

• Hi Amanda!

My canine dietitician uses garlic as a means of preventing ticks. I was at a dog walker workshop today where a vet attended so I asked him and he said it was good for keeping ticks away cause they don’t like the smell/taste, but onions were bad. On returning I spoke to my dietician tonight who said….

“it been a debate for yonks…they would have to eat kilo’s of it for it to be harmful lol …but eat kilo’s of lots of stuff and it harmful..

as your vet said it good for treating ticks, it a natural blood cleanser..it a good anti cancer agent etc

i would rather feed my dog a small amount of garlic to keep away ticks than risk giving them a chemical flea treatment in order to protect them against such things as lyme disease”

11. This looks quite a wet treat which might make it difficult to use in training classes….is it?

12. This sounds perfect for my dog, thanks. I have a tin of pink salmon, can I substitute that for the tuna?

• I don’t see why not! Give it a try and let me know how you get on!

13. oooh Poppy will love this recipe, thank you so much for sharing it xx

14. I used to buy canned food until my friend recommended me this resource. Since then I cook for my german shepperd myself.
    I must thank you for all wonderful recipes, he loves this one the most.

• Thanks Katy! :)

15. Thanks. Just what I was looking for. Will make some soon.

• Thanks Marilyn! Quick and easy, you can’t go wrong!

16. Hi,thanks for this easy recipe which I made for Rosie yesterday and she loves it :) Going to make liver cake tomorrow! Love your website!

• Thanks Andrea! Have fun cooking tomorrow!

17. thank you for this simple recipe. My dog now has a treat that she can digest just fine.

18. Very quick to make and my dogs love it, great as training treats as it can be chopped into really small pieces

• can this be frozen and also how do you know how much you should feed?

• Hi Niki! Yeah it can be frozen once it’s cooled down! Just feed as you would with any other treat!

Submit a Comment