Sardine oatcakes

Sardine oatcakes

Better than any dog biscuit you’ve ever bought… ever!

Your dog will love these oatcakes, they are tasty, healthy, smell great and just so easy to make!  And from preparation to cooking time they take less than one hour!

When I was thinking of a new recipe to make I first thought about making some kinda flapjack then found that oatcakes were even easier to make and the perfect treat recipe to use fish!  I’ve taken these out with me several times when I’ve been dog walking and they are great for getting the attention of all my dogs and even dogs that I’m not walking!

Ingredients

• 2 tins of sardines in oil (2x120g)
  • 1 crushed garlic clove (Isn’t garlic bad for dogs?)
  • 60g (1/3 cup) of wholemeal flour
  • 300g (1 1/3 cups) of oats
  • A splash of water

Method

sardine oatcake recipe ingredients

Our ingredients!

sardines in bowl

Add the two tins of sardines to a bowl (including the oil)!

mashed sardines

Mash the sardines thoroughly with a fork!

crushed garlic clove

Add 1 crushed garlic clove

add flour and oats to oatcake recipe

Add the 300g of oats and 60g of wholemeal flour!

dough ball

Add a splash of water and mix ingredients with your hands and make a dough ball!

roll out dog biscuit dough

Roll out and cut out biscuits!

place dog biscuits on baking tray

Place dog biscuits on baking tray and place into a preheated oven at 190°C (370°F) for around 20-25 mins.

cooked sardine oatcake dog treats

Yum, that’s them cooked and they smell great!

dog eating a dog treat

Give to dog and freeze rest! Ruby loves them!

Share with your friends

34 Comments

1. Am so glad I found this website – have made the sardine oatcakes for my 4 year old staffy who was following me around the kitchen whilst I was making them!! Anyway they have been wolfed down so thanks for sharing

• Hi Sue!

Thanks for your lovely comments! Sardine oatcakes are one of my fav treats! All dogs love them!

2. I am going to try these but also some berry ones as my dogs love cranberries and bluberries, will try with bananas, apple and herbs do many different varieties with the basic ingredients. Watch out dogs and cats, Mummy is going to be baking.

3. Going to try these with the silver hake I have. Garlic is not toxic to dogs if you feed it by the guidelines. Too much and it can make them sick, look up the studies and the amounts online as there is a chart for it. I will let you know how mine go :) looks like a good recipe to try!

4. This recipe works well with bananas instead of sardines, I used four bananas but three would probably be enough & I didn’t need any water. My lab Tess loves both versions.

• Thanks Liz! Sounds like a great idea!

5. hi, just made these and all my 3 dogs loved them, is there a limit to how many they should be fed a day? I only ask because of the garlic in them, as it states on the link that in moderation garlic is okay? or as only one clove is used in the whole mix this is the moderation?? god, think i’m even confusing myself lol, Thanks for the recipes you are fantastic :)

• Hi Lisa and thanks. Just use as you would with any treat. Don’t worry about the garlic. Garlic is good.

6. Oh my, oh my… just checked out this recipe. These have to be next, they have to be next… Where’s Bernice? Where’s Bernice? Can she make these next? eh? eh? Sardines… that’s fish right? I loves fish… I really loves fish… I’ll give her a paw, that’ll work…

Jamie I’ll keep you posted, need to go and work my magic. Wish me luck ;*)

7. I’ve made the sardine oat cakes several times. My dogs love them. However, since they have no preservatives, they have molded for me after 6 or 7 days. So I just freeze or refrigerate them.

• Thanks Bev. I’ve never had them longer than 2 days so had no idea about their life.

8. Hi Jamie,

Do you have to debone the fishir will it soften enough with cooking?

Thanks

• these are canned sardines, so yeah they are deboned, they may have whisker like bones but they’re ok.

9. Hi Jamie, just made these sardine oatcakes for my Boxer, Mylo as I heard he loved the one you let him try during the week! The mixture has produced a full tin of biscuits and Mylo loves them! What a success! I will be trying more recipes soon! Thanks

• I’m glad he liked it, I’ve not met a dog that didn’t like them! That day I met Mylo I had taken all the biscuits I made the night before with me and by the end of the day they had all been scoffed up!

10. Just made these , amazing , so simply to do and my dogs just adore them : ) Thank you

• Thanks Jen! Glad you like them!

11. Hi, can i ask if i can change the sardine fish to salmon fish? Coz in my country the sardins are not fresh and there are usually mix with other sauce in tin. :D

• Hi Monica! Yeah, Salmon is fine!

12. Made these for my dog today. Simple to make, smell awful baking, but he LOVES them. Thanks.

• Thanks for your comments Wendy! This is one of my favourite recipes!

13. Have made your wonderful liver biscuits already a favourite with my dog and the cats love them too. Trying the sardine cookies today already have a audience 2 cats 1 boxador puppy waiting. Thank you for your recipies

• Thanks Lynne!

The liver biscuits are a lot of work but great! I love these sardine biscuits cause they are so simple and delicious!

• Success !!!!! They have gone down a treat with both cats and Bertie my lovely boxador puppy. Shall be making these again gonna try the banana bombs next.

• I’m glad to hear that Lynn!

14. hi, I made the peanut butter and banana bombs for my 2 fcr dogs last week. Went down v well! From the photos here it looks like you don’t drain the sardines of their oil? Is that right? Thanks

• Hi Janet! I’m glad your dogs liked the banana bombs! Regarding the sardines I do add the oil to the recipe as the oil is good and helps keep the dough moist. Your dogs will love these!

15. just made these for my old yorkie and two chihauhuas pups they all love them, the pups are sitting infront of me wanting more lol x

• Hi Jill! Thanks that means a lot! This recipe doesn’t seem as popular as the liver cake or other treats but I think they are well worth making!

16. These sound great but I thought garlic was poisonous for dogs?

17. Lovely how long do they keep?! x

• Hey Gemma! They should last a good couple of weeks or more if stored correctly, otherwise freeze them if you want longer life!

Submit a Comment