A diabetic-friendly, calming dog treat recipe
By Bev Cobley for BDWS
These cinnamon biscuits are good for periods of anxiety; vet visits, times of separation, groomers, stressful situations, etc.
Cinnamon is a strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory and also lowers blood sugar.
As the sweetness comes from the sweet potatoes and bananas, this is an ideal treat for dogs with diabetes.
Sweet potato is a natural soporific so is a good relaxant and an excellent natural sleep aid. They are also a good source of vitamins and minerals.
1. Our ingredients.
2. Peel and dice your sweet potato.
3. Boil sweet potatoes until soft and then drain.
4. Mash. Leave in the warm pan without lid, to allow the excess water to steam away.
5. When potatoes are cool, transfer to a mixing bowl.
6. Add a banana and mash.
7. Add 170 gm (6oz) rolled or nibbed oats.
8. Add 115 gm (4oz) wholemeal flour.
9. Add 3 teaspoons of cinnamon
10. Add an egg.
11. Combine the ingredients. The consistency needs to be soft enough to handle but not wet. More oats can be added to firm.
13. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet or tray.
14. When they are all on tray use a fork to squash down
15. Bake in a preheated for 30 to 35 minutes. (200C/400F/Gas Mark 6)
16. Once cooked, take out the oven and leave to cool.
17. Expect nosey dogs to appear.