Liver cake recipe for dogs!

Liver cake recipe for dogs!

A simple step by step guide

For this liver cake recipe I make the mixture in 2 batches cause it would be a bit too much for my hand blender to try to blend all at once but if you have a powerful blender then you can do it all in one go.  It’s a very simple recipe and if you can’t get liver you can try other meats, like minced beef, kidney, heart or even tuna!  Once cooked put it in the freezer until needed.  No need to defrost, there’s very little water content so can be eaten by your dog straight away.

Ingredients

liver

1kg (2.2 lbs) of liver

4 eggs

4 Eggs

Flour

400g (1 3/4 cups) Flour

Method

liver cake ingredients

Blend half the liver, 2 eggs and a splash of milk.

Blended liver cake mix

It should look a bit like a smoothie once done.

Add flour to recipe

Add half the flour

making liver cake mixture

Mix flour with a fork until it’s a thick sticky goo. You can add a bit more flour if it’s not thick enough.

baking tray

You can line a baking tray with tin foil (you really don’t have too) and add a little oil on top of the tray. Pre-heat oven to 150ºC (300ºF).

Liver cake mixture in baking tray

Empty mix onto tray and repeat process with other half of the ingredients adding that to the tray as well.

liver cake mixture

Make sure it’s all level and even. Should now look a bit like this.

Cooking liver cake

Put tray in oven and cook for about 1hr – 1hr 30 mins.

Liver cake just out of the oven!

Right, it should now be cooked. Yummy!

Cooked liver cake

It’s easier to cut while it’s still warm.

homemade liver cake

Cut into squares and once cooled freeze for when you need them.

dog waiting for treat

If your dog is like mine, she will have watched you the entire time.

Share with your friends

159 Comments

1. This is a great and easy recipe my puggle Ralfy has been going daft since I started making it jumping up at the oven!!
    Just a couple of questions how do I know when it is cooked and I have cut into bite size pieces about 1cm square how much would you reccommend per day?

• Hey Mags! Thanks for you comments!

I go by how it browns at the top, it should be bready all the way through if cooked right.

1cm size bits seem very small. usually I cut them into 1 inch squares. Just give as you would with normal treats – a few a day.

Jamie

2. Hi Jamie, I’ve made this recipe several times now – my dog loves it. He’s a sighthound, a Galgo, not renowned for their re-call & obedience, but some of the liver cake shaken about in a plastic bag guarantees his immediate attention. So, I thought sending a thank you is in order, if a little late. You have a fascinating website, really interesting, entertaining & informative. I confess my attention was initially caught up as you’re in Bishopton & my other half has a cousin there. What a lovely part of the world. The dogs you walk are a lucky bunch. Keep up the excellent work. Best wishes, Janet Ratcliff.

• Thanks Janet! I’m glad the liver cake helps. That’s interesting your other half has relations here. Do you know what street?

Jamie

• Hi Jamie, hope you didn’t think I was being rude – I didn’t see this until I looked again for the recipe to make some more cake (dog training class tonight).
        The relations live in Lang Avenue.
        Keep up the good work
        Janet

3. Made some today using lambs liver and potato flour (to make it gluten free) So simple and my dog loves it. A money saver indeed.

• Thanks Jim. Send a pic if you got any left. But you are right, it is a money saver, I just bought 5 pig ears today for £5 – only have one left!

• I go to butchers and get real pigs ears also pig skin/crackling and air dry in garage,the skin I cut into strips and make rawhide chews/doughnuts etc.If you in a nice hot sunny country hang outside to air dry.I get as much as I can carry when butchers is throwing out at night and keeps them going for months, any you don’t dry can be frozen till you are ready to dry. can be slowly dried in oven but if you like me I forget they are in the oven and only remember when the roast pork smell drifts upstairs at 2am and I cant remember if I switched off oven,

• Hi Fiona!

Butchers round here don’t seem to be much better than supermarkets and anything not mainstream has to be ordered in at cost which is frustrating. Can I ask, how much do you pay for real pig ears? They are raw, yeah?

Jamie

4. Thank you so much for this recipe, Jamie. My Papillon menagerie are on a raw food diet but turn their nose up at raw offal so this is how I get it in em. It’s been a lifesaver. So simple too. I put the liver through the fine bit of a mincer so then I can bung all the ingredients together in a bog bowl as one big batch :)

5. This is the recipe I always use, though it is easier to use chicken livers as they blend quicker and smoother. I add 1-2 t of garlic powder and they love it even more!

• Thanks Mary! I’ll try the chicken livers next time I make it.

6. Hi Jamie, I just found your site and all your wonderful recipes. I’m hoping to make this liver cake tonight as my dog Lucy has suddenly lost all recall training and we need to start from scratch with a tempting treat to lure her to me. Do you think this would work with cous cous or mashed up sweet potato instead of flour? Any type of flour seems to make Lucy’s skin flaky. Thanks in advance for your help.

7. I wanted something for my dog who has recently been diagnosed Cushing’s Disease, she’s hungry all the time & losing lots of weight, but has become a bit fussy since being diagnosed, so I thought this might perk her up. It has certainly done the trick, both dogs love it. Thank you!

• Thanks Nicola! I’m sorry to hear about your dog but glad she likes the liver cake!

8. I’ve just put a batch in the oven. You’re right, I was watched the whole time!!

9. Hi Jamie! I just want to thank you so much for this amazing recipe. The liver flavoured treats where I live are too expensive and my beagle, Charlie, loves liver so much. I tried making this for him, just to test if he likes it and just so I don’t have to spend a ton of money on treats. He was taking a nap when I put them in the oven and as soon as they were done. He woke up and started jumping in front of the oven. Needless to say, he loves the brownies! Thank you so much for this recipe!

-Jea

• Thanks Jea! Glad you and your dog like them! :)

10. Hi, Can I ask how I check if its cooked through? May sound silly but I am more used to baking “regular” cakes than liver cake and have no idea how to tell when its done.

11. P.s also tried the tuna loaf which didn’t last long!!

• Hi Julie! Thanks for commenting! I hope your lab has a great 1st birthday! Liver cake is great for birthday treats!

12. Hi, tonight I have just baked my first liver cake and my 11 month old labrador loves it, we now have a stocked freezer! She is 1 on the 10th April so will be making this as a birthday cake, great easy recipe thank you.

13. Hi, I regularly make these treats for my 9 year old dog, she loves them. I’m trying to get her to lose some weight, is there anyway of making them less fattening? Do you know how many calories per 100g?

14. this is terrific :) I’ve made a similar liver “cake” and added bacon to make it even more tasty. I also use half liver and half lambs fry cos the smell of the liver nearly kills me when I make it LOL cream cheese and grated carrot can look good as “icing” too…. remember it’s just a treat though ^..^

15. Why cook garlic in the liver cake or tuna cookies recipe when this site in explaining the goodness for dogs having garlic, says that “Cooked garlic does not retain the medicinal properties found in fresh garlic”, so what is the point putting it in the recipe?
    Please help me understand the addition, or should I just leave it out all together?
    Thanks

• Hi Diane! Garlic is added for flavour!

16. Thank you for this recipe! Just cooked up a huge batch ready for a fundraiser for rescued English bulldogs!
    I think they might just love it, based on my own dogs reactions!
    Also doing the peanut butter biscuits!

• Thanks Leesha! Good luck with the fundraiser!

17. Do you think it would work with a sub for the strong wheat flour? For the family members who shouldn’t eat grains? I am thinking of Potato flour as I don’t like rice flour due the recent news about the problems with rice?

• Hi, WestieMom. I’ve never tried it without wholemeal. You could try potato flour, chickpea flour or soy flour and let me know how you get on!

18. Hi Jamie
    I work in a slaughter house , i can get liver easerly does it all mix the same ?

• Hi Howard!

Yeah, any liver whether mixed with others or not is fine.

19. Hi jamie forgot to ask is this low fat as i dont give my dog anything fatty dint want him to fet fat its cruel i think many thanks again
    Kind regards
    Sharon

• Hi Sharon. It’s not gonna make your dog fat but just remember it’s just a treat but a great treat for getting your dogs attention. Liver is relatively low in calories and fat and high in proteins, vitamins and minerals. Good luck!

Submit a Comment