A STEP BY STEP GUIDE
I make the mixture in 2 batches because it’s quite heavy work for the hand blender but if you have a powerful blender then you can do it all in one go, personally I just use a cheap hand blender and it’s really easy to clean afterwards. It’s a very simple recipe and cheap to make, all supermarkets sell liver so it’s easy to find but if you can’t get liver you can try other meats, like minced beef, kidney, heart, chicken liver or even tuna! Once cooked put what you wont be using in the next couple of days in the freezer until needed. Defrosts in just minutes once out of the freezer.
Ideal as a treat, a dog birthday cake, selling at fairs etc etc.
- 1kg (2.2 lbs) of liver
- 4 Eggs
- 400g (1 ¾ cups) Wholemeal flour
- 1 crushed garlic clove – optional. But isn’t garlic bad for dogs?
1. Blend half the liver, 2 eggs, a splash of milk and half the garlic (optional).
2. It should look a bit like a smoothie once done.
3. Add half the flour
4. Mix flour with a fork until it’s a thick sticky goo. You can add a bit more flour if it’s not thick enough.
5. You can line a baking tray with tin foil (you really don’t have too) and add a little oil on top of the tray.
6. Empty mix onto tray and repeat process with other half of the ingredients adding that to the tray as well.
7. Make sure it’s all level and even. Should now look a bit like this.
8. Put tray into a preheated oven at 150ºC (300ºF) and cook for about 1hr – 1hr 30 mins.
9. Right, it should now be cooked. Yummy!
10. It’s easier to cut while it’s still warm.
11. Cut into squares and once cooled freeze for when you need them.
12. If your dog is like mine, she will have watched you the entire time.